Enjoy Your Journey Everyday!!!!

Enjoy Your Journey Everyday!!!!

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Life Lessons Learned From Hospice Volunteering

I have learned so much from volunteering with one of our local hospice organizations. I know some people feel uncomfortable talking about hospice and end of life care. I feel so fortunate to interact with patients during this phase of their lives.


I began volunteering with Arkansas Hospice this year. I have never worked with a hospice organization before, so I didn't know exactly what to expect. The organization provided a wonderful orientation and background about hospice care. I usually visit on Wednesday each week. I visit patients in the nursing home setting.


The patients I have met are such wonderful people. They have amazing stories and life experiences. They are facing this stage in life with dignity and sometimes even a little humor. I consider it a privilege interact with them each week. I guess as I am getting older, I am realizing the importance of seizing the day. I'm trying to enjoy every day. The hardest thing for me is learning not to sweat the small stuff. I know I'm the volunteer reaching out to them, but I feel they are also making a significant impact on my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment